Tuesday 3 May 2011

The Rake Cumbrian beer festival

The lovely Lisa spotted that one of her favourite beers, Cumbrian Legendary Ales Grasmoor, was going to be on at the Rake so a research trip was in order.

We sat outside where a range of beers were on stillage. The Grasmoor was a bit flat, but the Loweswater Gold worked a treat quenching my thirst. We were a bit stumped for what to try next as the beers tended towards the strong side. There was only one thing for it - we switched to drinking halves.

We were disappointed that Thurstein pilsner wasn't on, as it's practically named after Lisa. So American Invasion (5% ABV) and Hawkshead Citrillo (5% ABV) were next for us, both of which were at the beer that tastes like grapefruit juice end of things. More hoppy ones were up next, a couple from Stringers: Victoria IPA (5.5%) and Hop Priest (6.5%). We preferred the Victoria as the taste was a bit crisper.

After that we abandoned any attempts at pacing ourselves and I had a Mutiny double stout (9.3%) and Lisa had Infra Red (6.2%). The syrupy delights of the stout did it for me and the lovely Lisa enjoyed the way Infra Red gets better with each sip.

We're a bit undecided on the Rake. There was a good beer range if you like stronger beers but I prefer to sit somewhere relaxing where I can settle in for an evening drinking beers of more modest strength.

It was time for some food after that so we went to the Southwark tavern for a unique food experience. Well, I hope it was unique as the food was dire so I don't want to do it again.


4 comments:

  1. I prefer the Victoria also. But you know, there's people who disagree.

    I see that the Southwark Tavern's menu begins with "Today's soup". Which would be true. Unless it was yesterday's. Which today's will be, tomorrow.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ed and Stringers, I disagree with you both, Hop Priest is simply superb where as Victoria is merely excellent.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think you're out voted Dave, unless it's some sort of alternative vote system! ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think you'll find in my constituency Hop Priest polled highest.

    ReplyDelete