Sunday 27 September 2020

Postmodernism - is it bollocks?

 I read with interest Lily Waite's recent blog post about beer and postmodernism. It's well written (even if some of the history is wrong) and I was able to follow the point being made. But at the end, to sound a little crass, I couldn't help but think so what? Beer might be described as hyperreal or a simulacra but if I've got a pint in my hand why should I care? Postmodernism might by sceptical towards reason but my reason tells me to be sceptical towards postmodernism. 



6 comments:

  1. Amazing. Looks to me the after affects of a bad acid trip.

    ReplyDelete
  2. "my reason tells me to be sceptical towards postmodernism" Sounds reasonable. Lily's piece isn't my kind of thing. I don't profess to understanding it, never mind having an insight about the whole concept.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm with you on this one TM, and if I'm honest I wondered what, exactly the author was driving at.

      Delete
    2. Yes, I thought I followed what was being said but I couldn't see the point of it.

      Delete
  3. You may be right in your assertion, but I thought Lily's article was both well written and introduced me to subjects that I previously had no exposure to. I especially liked the stuff on hyperreality.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, it was new to me too yet I was still able to understand it! I just didn't see the point of it. When it got to simulacra and hyperreality I thought it was heading in a Situationist direction but no, to me it just ends with a new way of describing things for no apparent reason.

      Delete