Saturday 18 June 2011

Time for a rant

After noted beer historian Pete Brown was on Radio 4 talking about Russian Imperial Stout anti-alcohol stuff soon followed.

Dr Aric Sigman was calling for a total ban on alcohol to children under 15, as it meant they were less like likely to binge drink in future life. He backed this up by saying this was based on a survey not published in a medical journal. I can't see how not being published in a medical journal is supposed to make something more authoritative, but I couldn't be bothered to look into his figures. When not writing books on beer history Pete Brown has done an excellent job of demolishing dubious anti-alcohol arguments and to be honest, I don't care anyway. As binge drinking for an adult male is defined as having three to four pints in a session it doesn't sound excessive to me, it sounds normal.

So that makes me a binge drinker. And do you know what? I really enjoy it. I've had some of my best times when out boozing. As far as I'm concerned it would be good for future generations to have the same enjoyment drinking as I have had.

It may not be good for your health. It may have an element of risk. But so bloody what. Life has a 100% mortality rate. No matter what you do you'll still die, so you might as well enjoy yourself before you pop your clogs. So tonight I'm going down the pub for a session.





3 comments:

  1. Yes, well said, ultimately life is fatal anyway.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aye, I believe eating cucumbers is more hazardous than binge drinking right now. And I've never taken life too seriously. As you've already pointed out, no-one gets out alive.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You don't live any longer if you don't drink alcohol, it just seems longer.

    ReplyDelete