Saturday 13 June 2020

Desperate measures

As I've still had to bleedin' well go to work the current plague situation has affected me less than many. But I haven't managed to escape its effects entirely. There's the queuing two metres apart to get into supermarkets...where  it then reverts to the usual free for all. And my current training regime is entirely limited to what I can do on my own in my living room, so Brazilian Jiu Jitsu has gone out of the window but I'm doing alright at re-learning side kicks. Then there's the pubs. Shut, shut, shut.

This has not done any favour for my weekend enjoyment but it was only recently that I realised there were more serious spiritual implications. As I've been able to fulfil for cask beer at work I arrogantly assumed I'd be able to live through the lockdown with no risk to my immortal soul, until The Beer Nut reminded me that May is the month of mild. I had entirely forgotten, which I suppose shows how my routine has been upset more than I'd realised. 

May being the beery month of obligation the faithful are called to promote mild during this time, and I always make sure I drink a pint and sometimes even two. How could I do that when the pubs are shut though? Working at a brewery wouldn't help as we don't make mild. In fact there's four breweries on site and not one of them makes a single mild. Our mother church makes allowances for when you can't get to pubs but who makes bottle conditioned mild? No one I know. So in these desperate times desperate measures are called for and I improvised as best I could. 

We make an old ale, which I think can be considered a strong mild. 


It's filled with extraneous CO2 though, which as we know is the essence of evil. So I used a fork to drive it, and Satan, out. 


Then to try and restore the beer to how god intended I poured in the dregs of a bottle conditioned beer:


Was this enough to fulfil my obligations? I really don't know, I haven't seen CAMRA issue a special dispensation during these troubled times. I can only hope that on the day of judgement my efforts are taken into consideration. 

6 comments:

  1. Looks close enough to mild for me.

    Our local (the Sun in Waterbeach) has been doing mild and stout takeaways the last month, so I'm compliant.

    BJJ ? Should I ask ?

    Thanks for working. Those making beer during the pandemic won't be forgotten.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Martin. Excellent work on maintaining compliance, you'll be rewarded in heaven I'm sure. BJJ is Brazilian Jiu Jitsu. I think I'd better edit the post!

      Delete
  2. Nothing to do with de Pfeffel, then. Phew.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha! It is a comfort to me that all political careers end in failure.

      Delete
  3. I'm sure you'll put me right if I've got this wrong, but I thought the term mild originated as a word for a freshly brewed beer, as opposed to a stock beer that had been left to age in the barrel. So if there's one thing that your "old ale" cannot be, it's mild.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was doing the best I could! The term mild has changed over time so I was using mild in the more modern 'sweet, weak, usually dark and lightly hopped' sense. And the old ale wasn't actually old anyway! That's what I'll be saying to St Peter anyway ;-)

      Delete