Sunday 22 April 2018

Confused about CAMRA


Now the votes on CAMRA's revitalisation process are in beer geeks have reacted in the only way they know: by saying what they always say. A volley of rattles have been thrown from the prams of crafties, accompanied by the usual abuse they think it's OK to heap on people they assume are old. And on the other side those opposed to change are happy CAMRA has stayed true to it's original aim. Apart from one loonspud who's delighted a Commnunist conspiracy has been defeated. 

But I really don't think the results are at all as clear cut as that. All but one of the resolutions to change CAMRA's constitution passed, including what I would have thought would make the crafties happy:
"To play a leading role in the provision of information, education and training to all those with an interest in beer, cider and perry of any type"
Surely that's widening CAMRA's remit to include craft beer?

The proposals that failed to pass looks to me that it's actually about defending pubs and acting as the de facto beer consumers' organisation in Britain:
"To act as the voice and represent the interests of all pub goers and beer, cider and perry drinkers"
Why this not going through has caused so much outrage amongst crafties is a mystery to me, but I have seen a couple say it was the only important point in all the revitalisation proposals. For a long time CAMRA has been focused on defending pubs and has acted as the de facto beer consumers' organisation in Britain and I can't see that changing.

I know I'm not the only person a bit bemused by the reaction on twitter (shout out to @jwestjourno and @desdemoor !) but it does feel like fact are far less important than preconceived ideas on the internet. Mind you, that's not exactly new!



10 comments:

  1. I am not a craftie if I drink 99% real ale but I want CAMRA to thrive and survive. Right now, each day, with every active member who leaves the campaign, it slips towards demise. I know that from first hand experience in our branch. It's not so much what policy CAMRA embraces, more who is going to carry it out. And I look at the shape of the NE right now, as I would at the board of any company, and decide whether they are the ones to carry on the change that >72% of members want...

    ReplyDelete
  2. As I see the main vote for change got passed and all the revitalisation proposals came from the NE. Has that changed? I know the don't change anything person was elected but surely the NE is mainly still in favour of change.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Let's not forget that the AGM also voted to delete this from the Internal Policy Document: "Beer festivals should sell real ale (and cider and perry) only, except for CAMRA accredited real
    ale in a bottle....."

    Also conveniently overlooked by the rattle throwing cratties.

    The NE result was interesting - as you say one "don't change anything" plus one moderniser, one pragmatist and one re-elected.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm coming to the conclusion that twitter really is designed to encourage ranting not discussion.

      Delete
    2. You've only just realised that?!

      Delete
    3. Ha! I did hear a while back that conflict is the best way to get more traffic on social media so it's deliberately encouraged by the companies that run it. I suspect there'd be enough conflict even without this though!

      Delete
  4. I read that clause about "provision of education...to all those with an interest in beer...of any type" as meaning education in a distinctly Maoist sense

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ah, so they're planning to send crafties out to country villages with one remaining pub selling a single BBB and industrial lager. It will certainly give them a different perspective.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've often thought that it would make a good horror film for a group of crafties to be stranded in a small Welsh town where all there is to drink is Worthington Bitter.

      Delete
    2. That does sound pretty horrifying, though three or four pints in I'm sure the horror would be fading.

      Delete