Thursday 26 November 2015

Bass brewery to close


Molson Coors have confirmed that their Burton (South) plant is to close in September 2017. The brewery is perhaps better known as the old Bass brewery. Production will be transferred to the Burton (North) plant, the old Allied brewery.

I did hear rumours that the Burton (South) plant was under threat a while back, as apparently it’s basically a large Carling factory and Carling sales are in decline. The news it will close was confirmed in a local paper three weeks ago.

2 comments:

  1. No real loss there! This modern “Carling factory” replaced the historic Bass No.2 Brewery, back in the mid 1980’s. The latter was home to the long vanished Burton-Union sets. I was privileged to have a tour round this fascinating Victorian brewery, back in the late 70’s, when I worked for Bass in their wines & spirits division. It was sadly demolished, when the new plant came on stream and is now, I understand, a supermarket car park.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dunno, I've seen bits of Burton South and a lot of the buildings looked old. I'm not really clued up on what's what thought, but at least I've now worked out which bits were Bass and which were Allied.

    ReplyDelete