Tuesday 16 April 2013

Habemus stoutam!

I've finally got my hands on the revived Courage Imperial Russian Stout. It was over eighteen months ago I heard it had been brewed again by Wells and Young's, but for most of that time it was black smoke pouring from the chimneys of British beer shops as the bastards from Bedford sent all of the first batch to the States. It was then sent to New Zealand, Ireland and for all I know the Isle of Man before it bloody well appeared in Britain. But in February I sighted the first plume of white smoke as it went on sale on Amazon.co.uk.

Not keen to pay pricey postage for a pricey beer I passed on the chance of a parcel delivery and decided to wait until it appeared the shops. The moment arrived today when Cobbetts Real Ales got hold of some and I could finally say "Habemus stoutam!" Thanks to their 10% discount on Tuesday it was £5.85 a bottle, so much better than Amazon but definitely sucker juice. Still, there are times when everyone's a sucker and I'm definitely a sucker for this beer. I can't remember how many years it is since I last drank it, and since then I've brewed beers based on its recipe a few times myself, so I'm think it's fair to say I'm looking forward to tasting this one.

6 comments:

  1. An Anonynmous Boozer17 April 2013 at 00:22

    Will it pass the Guinness FES test I wonder?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well I don't want to introduce research bias into the test, but at that price I suspect the answer is 'not bloody likely'!

      Delete
    2. I thought that price was steep until I checked the size of the bottle. Actually that price is ridiculous. At nearly £24 a litre, I should hope it would pass the Guinness FES test, the St Petersburg test, the Marble Decadence test, the Past Masters Double Stout test and the Westvleteren Opgemaakt Trappisten Stoet test.

      So no pressure. Probably best just to have plain crisps with it, though, not cheese and onion.

      Delete
  2. Pub paraphernalia has different variety of Pub glass and Pub glassware collection. which are also contribute for decorate the pub and bar.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It may pain you to know we are sellingit for the equivilent of (as of today) 3.58870 GBP all the way down here in NZ :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think it's fair to say Wells and Young's are not my favourite brewers at the moment!

    ReplyDelete